Enbridge will likely miss 2018 construction start for Northern Gateway
Read this Sept. 4 story from the Canadian Press suggesting that Enbridge won’t meet its planned construction start of 2018 for the Northern Gateway Pipeline.
CALGARY — The president of the Northern Gateway pipeline says it’s unlikely the project will start up in 2018 as the company seeks to win over B.C. First Nations groups, many of which remain adamantly opposed to the $7.9-billion project.
“We have stated that the earliest in-service date was 2018. That’s quickly evaporating because we need to have this time to meet with people,” John Carruthers told a Calgary business audience on Thursday.
“I’m not as fussed on what that date is. I’m more fussed on can we have the support we need to go ahead, so it’s positive for all people of Canada, including Aboriginal people?”
“That’s going to take time and it’s going to take the time it takes.”
So far, 26 First Nations groups along the route have signed agreements with Enbridge to take a share of a 10 per cent equity stake in the pipeline that the company had offered. Enbridge is now in talks with other groups about other ways to participate in the project, such as employment and procurement contracts.
“There’s a lot of dialogue with both equity owners and non-equity at this point,” Carruthers told reporters
But many First Nations along the route are vehemently opposed to the pipeline and have said they wouldn’t accept it under any circumstances. Lawsuits could tie the project up in court for years.